The workshop will be experiential and didactic and will cover theory and technique for beginning couple therapists, followed by a live demonstration of the Image Dialogue. Participants will learn how to:
- Assess the viability of the couple for treatment.
- Manage constructive initial and subsequent sessions.
- Have specific tools with which to facilitate sessions.
- Have some interventions to fall back on when you don’t know what to do.
- Stay in charge.
- Transform a negative dynamic into a positive one.
- Enhance an individual treatment by observing first hand what is going on in the relationship your patient is troubled by.
- Conceptualize the underlying issues that are tormenting the couple.
- Incorporate a general theoretical understanding of what people play out and why they do it, and therefore how treatment needs to be structured in order to get therapeutic leverage.